Everybody should believe in something. I believe I'll read another chapter.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Book Review: Love Letters to the Dead

NOTE: I read this as an ARC but it was published on April 1st.

The book Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira is about the young teenager Laurel, who chronicles her freshman year of high school through letters to famous celebrities, ranging from Kurt Cobain to Amelia Earhart.

*SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD SORRY*

This book is...

Wow.

Moriarty can't handle the WOWness of this book
It's intense, and written with beautiful diction that you don't normally find geared toward the 12-18 demographic. And I appreciated that. Laurel used astounding comparisons and descriptions that made the book fun to picture.

Back to the intense thing, this book isn't for the faint. There are some very triggering things, like drug use, abuse, sexual assault, and death of a loved one. I don't say these to spoil, I just know some things can be harsh to read and I think it's fair to warn.

Plus, one of the things Dellaira did well was juggle all the story lines. Like Laurel coming to terms with what happened to her, and falling for the cute "bad" boy, and her new friends' romantic lives and drama, and her parents' inability to be truly there for her after her sister died, and the mystery of what happened on the night her sister died.

I couldn't, but Dellaira definitely could, damn.

It's a heartbreaking, beautiful, emotional read. I absolutely loved it. I hope everyone reads it. 

488/490 Poems.

Farewell,

Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment