Everybody should believe in something. I believe I'll read another chapter.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Me Reading the Great Gatsby Part 1

NOTE: This is going to an ongoing process because I am so NOT enrapt with this book. (And I am going to be so sarcastic/ironic/dry throughout so forgive my attitude.) LOTS OF HELL NAH ANIMALS.

So, the movie The Great Gatsby is coming out this summer. And it has Leonardo di Caprio so I of course have to see it. But I can't do that yet because I have not read the book it's based on, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. And it is against my beliefs to not read a book first before seeing the movie.

And then my mom has this thing where I have to read things that are considered "classic literature that everyone should read" so I'm starting with The Great Gatsby


And I really didn't want to (as evidenced by the gif above) but then she bribed me with a Nerdfighter t-shirt and I really want it so VICTORY.



I've only gotten through the Chapter 1 and a couple pages of Chapter 2. But I dunno you guys I freaking hate books that have a long exposition. Like, JUST GET TO POINT FOR GODS SAKE.

Here are my original thoughts/questions:

1. Who the hell is Gatsby?
2. Why is he so great?
3. My mom mentioned something about glasses and how that's supposedly important. This isn't LA class, I'm not annotating for fun.



4. Why doesn't Daisy ditch Tom? He's like the literary personification of the word "douchebag". 
5. What the hell is a West Egg? Why is he living in breakfast food?
6. How did Tom manage to get two girls?
7. Drunk people are annoying.
8. Daisy is awesome and has some great quotes but WHY WON'T SHE JUST DITCH TOM I MEAN REALLY?

But there are some awesome quotes so far. I shall compose unto you a list.

"'Tom's getting very profound,' said Daisy, with an expression of unthoughtful sadness. 'He reads deep books with long words in them.''

"'I'll tell you a family secret,' (Daisy) whispered enthusiastically. 'It's about the butler's nose. Do you want to hear about the butler's nose?'
'That's why I came over to-night.'" (Nick is so sarcastic it's awesome)

"'All right,' I said, 'I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool-- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.'" --Daisy

"'In fact, I think I'll arrange a marriage. Come over often, Nick, and I'll sort of-- oh-- fling you together. You know-- lock you up accidentally in linen closets and push you out to sea in a boat and all that sort of thing--'" Daisy was the first shipper. 

"'He's so dumb he doesn't know he's alive.'" Tom. I hate him but that is a damn good insult.

Yeah that's it so far. Let's see if I can finish Chapter 2 by next week!

Sincerely,

Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment