Everybody should believe in something. I believe I'll read another chapter.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Book Review: Struck By Lightning

NOTE: This is a book based on a screenplay of a movie that's coming out in January.

Not gonna lie, the first season of Glee was actually pretty good. But then the DRAMA and BULLSHIT Meter went through the roof and I stopped watching for the sake of my angst and sanity.

But because of that show, I got to realize my first crush-on-a-gay-guy: Chris Colfer.

image
#Sexual.
He just screams the ability to write or be written about. He got the creators of Glee to write a character for him. That's just awesomeness. And, you know, he was one of Time's Most Influential Persons.

Then, when I was interning, one of my bosses Liesl told me that he had a book coming out called The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell. And she gave me an ARC of it. I was nervous at first, "What if this ruined him for me?" Luckily it didn't.

QUICK REVIEW OF RELATIVE BOOK: It was way better than I'd ever expect. Read it. That is all.

When I heard he had a YA book called Struck By Lightning coming about a cynical high schooler who liked to write I was like: This book was written for me!

I read it in less than 2 hours. I literally could not put it down. I read it during school, in between classes, during my off time, and during my classes. P.S. If I get a bad grade in Spanish, I'm blaming Struck by Lightning.

Here are the reasons I loved it.

One, the first line: "Dear Journal, one more school year with these shitheads and I'll be free." I feel that all the time.

Two, this lovable rogue had me empathizing with him immediately. I am on my school's newspaper, I love to write, I am very cynical when it comes to high school affairs, and I am one of the only sophomores in a 2100+ school who knows what she wants to major in, what she wants to be when she grows up or where she wants to go to college.

Three. I am starting to read this to my mom... Guess what? She loves it too! I was completely happy but shocked with this turn of events.
  image
And, *HUGE, WORLD-SHATTERING SPOILERS AHEAD EVERYONE* even with all the amazingness, I am filled with anguish with the ending.



HE ACTUALLY GOT STRUCK BY LIGHTNING!

I was hoping that entire book that was just a metaphor/simile! But no, Colfer actually had to kill off the only literary character I've been able to relate to completely. But I still adore him, since the rest of the book was better than I could've hoped for.

I give this book 44 Kurts out of 44. Perfect score it up, Colfer!

I have to go back to schoolwork now. Later.

Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment