Everybody should believe in something. I believe I'll read another chapter.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Book Review: Life in Outer Space

NOTE: I got this as an ARC but I read it after it was published.

So this book is called Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil. And to be honest, when I grabbed it at Teen Advisory Board I'd thought it be something fantasy-ish, but it is fact not. Which was pleasantly surprising (nothing against sci-fi/fantasy yadda-yadda.) It's actually about a boy named Sam who's a movie-nerd-geek and how he befriends this totally mysterious new girl named Camilla. She could be popular and dating the Head Dick of the school, but she just floats around cliques and prefers to hang out with Sam and his friends and be a nerd.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Here are a ton of reasons why YOU (yes you) should read it.

1: It's Australian and anything Australian is at least a bit great. I thought it was British at first (because I don't research things at all and it said "knob" so therefore I assumed British) but then they mentioned Australia as their local history and I went:


2: THE VOICE OH EM GEE. Keil had such a great voice for Sam. I could picture and feel his hatred toward the popular people and I totally related. He swore (not annoyingly much) and he was very upfront. Plus, his rapport with his friends was great.

3. THE ROMANCE. I instantly wanted Sam and Camilla to get together. They had so much in common, had great debates and discussions and conversations, and there was this whole scene where the two of them were Skyping while in separate countries and they were just SO CUTE. He helped her when she was scared and she helped him get some hardcore character development up in there. I just... It was JUST SO AMAZING.

I have access to too many of these haha
 4. The character development. I don't want to say too much here in the avoidance of spoilers (sperhlers) but the way Keil handled the story was just well done. I mean, it was just fantastic. All of the characters had something going on and it never felt overwhelming and I just loved (or appropriately hated) all the characters.

Me reading this book (except I didn't have Keenan Thompson yelling at me)

5. Movie references galore. I don't know about you, but I absolutely love it when I understand a reference. It makes me feel all in-the-know. And I understood so many of this book's! I was ecstatic while reading and being all "I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE."

But yes, this book was very much the bomb dot com. I enjoyed it heavily, especially the dialogue and inner-musings of Sam.

9000 Princess Leia bras out of 9001.

Fare thee well,

Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment