Everybody should believe in something. I believe I'll read another chapter.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Review: Instructions for a Broken Heart

NOTE: This is a book and (*review spoilers!*) not a very good one.

The book I'm reviewing is called Instructions for a Broken Heart by Kim Culbertson.

It's about a girl named Jessa who catches her boyfriend cheating on her and then she has to spend 3 weeks with his "slimy" ass with the girl he cheated with.

I'm not going to beat around the bush. This book was awful.

When I first got it, I thought it seemed like an interesting premise: getting over something bad that happened to you.

But after reading the first 40 pages I was like:

Even then I had friendzoned the book to "like"
Here are the reasons why it was so despicable.

*YEP SPOILERS BECAUSE I HOPE YOU DON'T READ THIS ANYWAY*

1- It was just bland. I did not feel any romance with anything. There were like 2 jokes I thought were vaguely amusing. There was this other guy that was supposed to be her new romantic interest but they just seemed awkward and out of place.

2- Jessa flipping kissed her teacher!!!. I explained here that I hate this kind of stuff, but in this book her teacher was also getting over heartbreak and she just leaned in and kissed him. I groaned out loud in complete and utter exasperation.


3- Jessa was a whiny bitch. First of all, if your boyfriend cheated on you that's a sign it wasn't going to work and it's his fault so just get over it. Second, she had some friends help her out and she just kept going on and on about how awful her life was. I'm getting real sick of your bullshit, Jessa.

4- Jessa's friend's plot was just odd. So Jessa's best friend (who I'm going to refer to as "BFF" because I'm forgetting this book for the sake of my sanity) gives her a care package to remind Jessa of all the awful things her boyfriend did when they were together. Helpful, but then it turns out BFF kissed Jessa's ex and was jealous of all the time they spent together.

I knew this book sucked, but I am a proud idiot. I feel like I can't hate books if I haven't read them. So I forced myself through this pile-of-crap book in order to accurately describe it for you.

Don't read it. This book was about as much fun as getting your wisdom teeth taken out.

Ye have been warned,

Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment