Everybody should believe in something. I believe I'll read another chapter.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My Personal Readibality Scale

NOTE: Another rant!

So, when you're reading, is there a factor of a book that just makes you sigh (in minimal-annoyance cases) or makes you want to throw the book in a fire because you hate this F***ING factor too much (in maximal-annoyance cases)? Or is it just me?

Regardless, I'm going to talk to you about my readability scale.

My readability scale is if a book has any of the factors that I don't like and then I rank them to see if it's worth it to read them anyway. The scale goes from:

1-(this doesn't bother me that much, but it's still a thing)
2-(meh, I'll read it anyway)
3-(Oh god this will probably IRK me but I'm going to read it for the sake of my pride)
4-(I'm hesitant to even touch this book)

And finally:

5- (OH HELL NO I REFUSE TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM AS THIS BOOK AND IT NEEDS TO BE SENT INTO THE DEPTHS OF THE UNDERWORLD WITH HADES)

Otherwise represented in this awesome Psych gif:


But here are some examples:

ONE ON READABILITY SCALE: Boys with green eyes. In someteen-romance fiction I've read, they always make the lead boy has these really "intense" (or some other cheesy word that romance-fiction uses) green eyes. And this always irks me. There are two other colors of eyes that are as equally intense. But, this only makes me sigh, since I will probably still read it.

TWO ON READABILITY SCALE: Dystopian. I actually haven't read much of these but I think if a book was to set off my Reader Feels enough then I'd read it anyway. This usually makes shrug then pick up the book, because

I do what I want
THREE ON READABILITY SCALE: Falling for best friend. I really don't know why, but whenever there's a story that has the main girl eventually fall for a guy friend it feels like a cop out. I feel cheated. But, they usually turn out to be really cute stories so I read them anyway.

FOUR ON READABILITY SCALE: Love triangles. They're just so STUPID. It's not even the books that bother me it's the people in on it to. Like back during the three months Twilight was cool for me, girls would be like "Omg Jacob is hotter so he should be with Bella". And I'm like, "your stupid dog didn't even win and looks don't matter so don't be shallow".

And then when people kept saying shit like this when I stopped caring I was just like, "STFU I really don't care". Same goes for The Hunger Games. You're little ship lost the race against my yacht, bitch. Get over it.

(Wow I am way too emotionally invested in teen literature and this will probably only get worse)

FIVE ON READABILITY SCALE: Paranormal romance. Will someone actually explain to me what is so attractive about non-humans? Why do you want a half-dead bloodsucker/shaggy dog/your kinda-sorta brother demon-slayer/even a bleeping toaster? WHY IS THIS A THING? I'd like to have hope that I will at least have a chance with one of the billions of people in the world, much less go scoping for a vampire.

If you have any opinions or answers for me, leave them in the comments.

I leave you with those thoughts.

Bye, guys!

Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment