Everybody should believe in something. I believe I'll read another chapter.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Amazon Publishing Fanfiction (AKA: Stupidity or Genius?)

Hey everyone!

I decided to talk today about the news that Amazon has decided to publish fanfiction along with their other books.


This is just not okay on multiple levels.

ONE: I am not paying to write fanfiction, nor will I get paid to write fanfiction. For several reasons. For me, and other people, writing fanfics is practice for writing a book. And then, the copyright-oh-the-author-could-potentially-sue-my-ass. Amazon apparently has the rights to such TV shows as "Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, and The Vampire Diaries". I don't want to write for those bullshit TV shows anyway.

TWO: Fanfiction is supposed to be fun. Like I said, it's practice. You're not trying to be like Cassandra Clare or EL James, most of the time. Personally, I don't want people to judge me based on my fanfiction. Usually, I just publish the first draft because I gave myself a deadline and it ends up being full of grammatical mistakes that I fix when I notice them. AND THAT'S OKAY! Especially on chill places like Tumblr or fanfiction.net.

THREE: Amazon made a bad decision anyway for trying to monopolize this market. You are not taking the fun out of my fanfiction, you cantankerous horse. A POX ON ALL YOUR HOUSES/SUBCOMPANIES (except for Goodreads).

But that's my opinion. Tell me yours in the comments!

ADIOS!

Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment