Everybody should believe in something. I believe I'll read another chapter.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Language Arts Blog Posts #1: The Future of Us

So I had this plan to read 75 pages of The Future of Us and then chill and write a blog post about each of those 75 pages.

That didn't really work out.

I finished the book over a course of one day.


This is what I get for making the effort to be patient: Bad things.

Sorry, Mr. Hensley.

But I made an agreement with my teacher to just do 1 blog post for each book I manage to finish.

So here's the Goodreads summary of The Future of Us.

"It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present"


I was very intrigued by this book. All my friends and I agreed that this was a very interesting premise. Here are the things I liked:

*AND SPOILERS ARE AHEAD! AVERT YOUR EYES*

1. Badass Premise (as stated above previously). What's cooler than a book that's barely sci-fi with a hint of historical with a ton of teen angst and romance? Nothing. That is the answer. I also liked how Asher and Mackler made the main theme/idea of the book the whole "Do you really want to know your future? And will you try to change it if you do?" (This is for LA, so I have to use fancy lit terms.)

2. Josh and Emma are so cute together. What happened last November when EVERYTHING CHANGED was Josh acting on their sexual tension. And I was like, Oh no... but then their relationship/friendship OBVIOUSLY had to become more but Emma had this weird infatuation with a runner but then they kissed and YAY!



3. The ending was SO PERFECT. So even though Josh suddenly got way more attractive to the other girls at the school and got to go out with the hottest girl in school he still liked Emma a lot. And Emma finally realized she could only have a great future is if it is with Josh and then the ball pit and then then pizza place and I can't even finish this without being attacked by my emotions.



But yes, this book definitely gets One Bazillion Facebook Accounts out of One Bazillion. Buy and read it!

Sincerely, 

Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment