Everybody should believe in something. I believe I'll read another chapter.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Language Arts Blog Posts #2: Paper Valentine

NOTE: I finally got around to reading Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff.

So at the Breathless Reads Tour, I was really intrigued by Yovanoff's book Paper Valentine. It's about a girl haunted by the ghost of her best friend who tries to solve the series of murders that are plaguing her small town.

I can only describe this book with two words: haunting and intense.

I mean, wow. This book was really amazingly written, with a great mystery and plot that kept me on the edge of my seat. But since it was so intense, I don't think it's hit me how good it was.

Because, like Yovanoff said in the interview, I'm intrigued by serial killers (like why did they do that and why those people). So I'm hesitant to admit this book was awesome in person.

But this is the internet. GREAT JOB, YOVANOFF.

Here is a list of things I enjoyed:

*Since it's a mystery and I want y'all to read it, I'll try not to spoil it*

I don't normally like mystery but I definitely liked this book. I was totally enrapt with figuring out who was killing these girls. And when I found out who did it, at first I was like That totally makes sense and then I was like, WHY DIDN'T I SEE THIS BEFORE?

Because I try not to solve murders in mysteries and let myself be surprised. And I suck at this kind of stuff so my answers are usually:


Finny was totally the lovable rogue. Lovable rogue is a stereotype in fiction that describes guys that are kind of bad but kind of good and good girls (like Hannah) have to like them. And I really Hannah and Finny's awkward chemistry.

I hated Lillian and then I loved Lillian. As far as annoying ghosts go, Lillian was pretty damn annoying. She was always trying to assert her opinion to Hannah even though Lillian wasn't the best role model. But then at the end with the things and the stuff (don't want to give anything away) I was like, "AWW"


But yes, this book gets 10 serial killers out of 10.

Until later,

Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment